Sunday, May 11, 2008

Oh no...not that roll! :)


A Yahtzee adventure:


So this post has nothing to do with real estate or really anything relevant, but it is a story that I felt compelled to put in writing somewhere. :) For some background, you should know that my family always kept a deck of cards (not for poker…that came later for me :) ) and a few game boxes close by, so I grew up playing all sorts of family games. As you can imagine, over the years some degree of healthy (well, okay, occasionally it was unhealthy :) ) competition built up. By the time I was an adolescent, I grew to greatly dislike Yahtzee!, as my mom would win 9 times out of ten. "So lucky!" was an exclamation that would frequently exit my mouth, as she would consistently get Yahtzee!s and straights right when she needed them most.


Well, back in December, I got a bit of revenge when, after she had taken the lead to match my two Yahtzee!s in one game, I got a Yahtzee! on my last turn to win the game. So, it was with a degree of glee that I reminded her of that game when we brought out the Yahtzee! box last night, as Sara and I are up here visiting with my parents for Mother's Day. As the game progressed, my mother went back to her winning ways, matching my early Yahtzee! with a Yahtzee! of her own and taking the lead. I still had a good chance of winning, as I all I needed was three 5s in one turn and a large straight (5 dice numbers in sequential order) in another, and I could afford a couple of bad turns as well. Unfortunately, I had three terrible turns in a row and my mother filled her own large straight, taking a dominant lead in the game.


So, it got down to me in the final turn of the game and the ONLY way I could win was by rolling a Yahtzee! 5s. "Come on Yahtzee! 5s!" I rolled the dice and got a 5-4-3-3-1. I put the one 5 aside and said, "It's not over...come on 4 more 5s!" I rolled the dice and got a 5-5-5-4. Oh no! :) My mom started laughing and said, "No way..." I was dancing around the kitchen a little and prolonging the suspense, mostly as a way to playfully torment my mother. Finally, I shook the last die in my hand for a while before rolling it. It knocked around for a while before landing with 5 dots showing on the top! "Yahtzee! 5s!" I put my hands over my head in hard-earned triumph, and every one started laughing...well, my mom sort of laughed. :) Ah, family games...they're all about skill. :)


Thanks for reading!


Peace,
Greg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home